Astilbe Ostrich Plume (Thunbergi Hybrid) is a clump-forming perennial boasting very large arching sprays of rich coral-pink flowers in mid-summer. The blossoms are presented on tall stems above the fern-like, bronze-flushed leaves. This award-winning Astilbe is relatively trouble-free, requires little maintenance, is heavy shade tolerant, and attracts butterflies but is deer and rabbit resistant. Absolutely magnificent when sited near a water feature.
Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Grows up to 30 in. tall (75 cm) and 24-28 in. wide (60-70 cm).
Part shade to full shade lover, this Astilbe thrives in organically rich, evenly moist, well-drained soils. Don't let the soil dry out! Mulch should be added to reduce water evaporation and maintain moisture.
- May be planted in full sun in areas with cool summers with adequate moisture. In hot summer areas, shade is important.
- Provides a spectacular flower show, whether planted in perennial borders, woodland gardens, near ponds and streams, or in containers. Plant in groups for better visual effects.
Plumes make excellent fresh-cut flowers and are great for drying in natural bouquets.
- No serious pest or disease issues. Keep an eye out for powdery mildew.
- No deadheading is required unless you do not like the look of the faded flower stalks. If allowed to remain, the dried seedheads will provide additional interest later in the season.
Should be divided about every 4 years to assure the maximum number of blooms.
- Propagate by division.
FromGardenia.net website https://www.gardenia.net/plant/astilbe-ostrich-plume
Astilbe 'Ostrich Plume'
Plant Type Perennial Zone 4-9 Height 30" Spacing 24-28" Growth Habit Uprignt Growth Rate Medium Bloom Time Midsummer Light
Full Sun (> 6 hrs. Direct Sun)
Part Shade (4-6 hrs. Direct Sun)
Full Shade (< 4 hrs. Direct Sun)
Average Water NeedsConsistent Water Needs
Fertile Soil Quality
Beds and Borders
Patio and Containers
Ponds and Streams
Origin Not native to North America